Anthem/BCBS Security Breach & Identity Protection
As of February 13, 2015, current and former members can visit AnthemFacts.com or call 877-263-7995 to learn how to enroll in two years of free credit monitoring and identity theft repair services if their information was compromised in the security breach. Members are able to access these services prior to receiving a mailed notification from Anthem. For members who have been impacted by the cyber-attack, these services are automatically available and do not require enrollment.
The free identity protection services provided by Anthem/BCBSGA will include two years of:
- Identity Repair Assistance: If a member experiences fraud since the Anthem incident began, an investigator will work to recover financial losses, restore credit, and ensure the member’s identity is returned to its appropriate condition.
- Credit Monitoring: Alerts members when banks and creditors use their identity to open new credit accounts.
- Child Identity Protection: Identity protection services for members with children insured through their health plan.
- Identity theft insurance: $1,000,000 in identity theft insurance, where allowed by law, for members who enroll.
- Identity theft monitoring/fraud detection: For members who enroll, data such as credit card numbers, social security numbers and emails will be scanned against aggregated sources to look for any indication of compromised data.
- Phone Alerts: Individuals who register for this service and provide their contact information will receive an alert when there is a notification from a credit bureau or when it appears that the individual’s identity may be compromised.
While Anthem had previously advised against opening emails regarding credit monitoring, beginning February 18, 2015, Anthem will actually begin sending emails to members with information about identity protection and credit monitoring services because they are required to do so based on state laws for breach notifications. However, members are encouraged to go directly to AnthemFacts.com to sign up for credit protection services rather than clicking on any email links. All members who have provided an email address to Anthem will receive these email notifications.